Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Featured Etsian... AnnabelsAprons


Sally:  What brought you to Etsy?
   Ann:  I first discovered Etsy from my adult son and his wife. I had never heard of it, and certainly did not know there was a homemade/handmade community out there waiting for ME to join. :D I am so glad I was told about it! 
   Sewing has been a part of my life since I was in high school, taking a home economics class, and learning the fundamentals of the craft. I’ve sewn off and on over the years, but recently have become more engrossed in it, with the idea of creating unique designs of aprons, and headbands. I had no idea the addiction to the design, color and texture of fabric I would have. I love coordinating colors and design. I have created my own styles of aprons with the exception of one, which has been modified for the better, I think. I have tried to capture a modern, yet whimsical style of apron, that will have everyone dancing in their kitchens. Recently, I have expanded my line to dresses and smock shirts, and soon I would like to add skirts.

   My goal is to make someone smile when they are looking at, or using, or wearing something that I have created! Etsy has been a way for me to show the world my designs and make that goal a reality!

Sally:   Who or what inspires your creations?

   Ann:  Nowadays people are entertaining more in their homes versus eating out. With the help of the food network and some great food personalities, cooking and sharing your meal at home has become a great form of entertainment. Aprons should be an integral part of ANY meal preparation and presentation, so I have tried to create a fun and fanciful apron that begs to be put worn, not just a layer of protection against spatters and spill, but with personality that completes you, like when you add that "perfect" accessory to your wardrobe. 
   My vendor/craft apron was inspired by other crafters, who were looking for an apron to wear at their shows that would keep everything important right within reach, business cards, pens, cell phones, keys, money, etc... The vendor/craft apron has been a popular item.

Sally:  What time of day do you work best and why?

   Ann:  I definitely work best in the mid morning! Especially when I have the sun shining in my work room! I'm just more awake then. I have learned that I just can't sew at night! My straight lines that I pride myself on, "take a turn" for the worse when I do. Now, if I was doing my art, I would have to say, night time is best! Put some music on, pour myself a glass of wine, and oh the creativity that is unleashed is so fun and surprising!

Sally:  Who do you market to? Who do you see buying your work?

   Ann:  Well since everyone has to cook, and would like to keep your outfit clean, I would say, my apron could potentially appeal to everyone. It seems men are doing a lot more cooking/grilling these days, so I market my men's chef's aprons to them. Since my vendor/craft aprons have been purchased by teachers, florists, gardeners and more, I try to market to anyone who just wants to keep organized with whatever task they have. 

Sally:  What item do you work on the most and why?

   Ann:  I would have to say that my full apron is the most popular. I seem to be making that style the most. My cupcake fabric has been hands down a favorite fabric style! 

Sally:  What is your favorite beverage while you work?

   Ann:  I usually just keep my water bottle with me while I work, but I do have my daily cup of herbal tea. It's just perfect in the afternoon. Must be that English blood in me. :D

Sally:  What is something you don't do well, that you would like to do better?

   Ann:  I am not as efficient with my time as I would like to be. I get sidetracked with too many things. Perhaps that is just a part of having my business in my home. But I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Sally:  What do you listen to while you work?

   Ann:  My daughter turned me on to Pandora Radio recently, where you type in the genre of music you like to listen to, or the artists and Pandora finds similar music to that. I love it!! Music definitely helps me work better!

Ann... thank you so much for letting us get a little peek into your world!  I remember when you were first starting out, you've come a long way baby!

Readers... thanks for joining us & take a trip to http://www.etsy.com/shop/annabelsaprons and check out her wonderful work & great attention to detail!!!  Or just say hi, she is a wonderful etsy seller for my wonderful readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails