Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Featured Etsian... ShabbyNChic!



Sally: What brought you to Etsy?
Jody: I heard about Etsy on a morning TV show years ago and always thought it was such a neat idea.  I finally decided to open a shop in order to devote more time to my hobby and consequently, myself.  I have 2 young children and work 4 part-time jobs with only about 3-6 hours of child care a week, so I need a break as often as I can get it.  When I am painting, I can think and not be running, running, running.

Sally: Who or what  inspires your creations?
Jody: Anything and everything!  I usually let the piece determine what it will look like.  It sounds odd, but I let each one "speak to me".  Just looking at it, thinking about it, sometimes even dreaming about it will tell me what color to paint it and what else to do with it.  I think that part is so fun.  Some pieces I have for months because I am waiting for inspiration to strike and it takes more time for some pieces.  To help jumpstart inspiration I often browse antique shops and look through home decorating magazines.

Sally: What time of day do you work best and why?
Jody: Early afternoon because that is when my daughter naps.  Evenings are also good because then my husband is home so I can go out in the garage and work.

Sally: Who do you market to? Who do you see buying your work?
Jody: I definitely market to women!  Women of every age have bought from me and tell me they enjoy my work, but I rarely have men interested - go figure!  It's funny at craft fairs when women come up and say "Oh, look honey.  Isn't it so pretty?" and the husbands try (unsuccessfully) to look interested.

Sally: What item do you like to work on the most and why?
Jody: Anything wood.  I love painting!  I also enjoy pieces that I can add a little more to, whether it be decorative knobs or hooks or paper.  I get to be more creative with those items.

Sally: What is your favorite beverage while you work?
Jody: Since I'm painting I don't eat or drink while I work.

Sally: What is something that you don’t do well that you’d like to do better?
Jody: I do some stationery (e.g. cards), but I am not good at the fancy cards with all of the intricate cutting and pieces that some people add to them.  I am working on it, but am content with my stlye being simple.  I like simple things.

Sally: If you could interview your main influence who would it be and what would you ask?
Jody: My main influence in everything I do is my grandmother who grew up during the depression.  She passed when I was in high school, but what an amazing woman!  I would ask her:
- What is something you never got to do in your life that you would have loved to have done?
- What do you think is the worst change and the best change you see in the world?
We were very close, so I think I already know the answers to anything else I would think to ask.

Sally: What do you listen to while you work? While you don’t work?
Jody: I always think it's funny that I usually listen to R&B, pop, and hip-hop music when I work.  It energizes me.  I listen to different music depending on my mood: love R&B, jazz, oldies/50's, late '60's - I love the Beatles!

Sally: Do you have any deals or promos to share?
Jody: I try to offer everything in my shop at low prices, so I rarely have sales.  I always offer discounted shipping for multiple purchases.  Due to some time off from all of my jobs, I am currently adding many items to my shop, so you will find a lot of new pieces!

Jody, thank you for letting us get a glimpse into your world!  I love getting to know other Etsians.

Followers, I love sharing with you!  If you know anyone you'd like to nominate, or if you'd like to submit to the blog make sure you submit to the blog in the sidebar!  And as always... you are the best fans EVER!


1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails